You cannot deny that birthday cake is one of the tastiest and greatest treats on the planet. Millions of people are buying, baking and trying to find that perfect recipe day in day out across the UK. That’s why I’ve decided to bring you my favourite Vegan Birthday Cake Recipe!
Now we all know birthday cakes come in all shapes, sizes and flavours, but I’m going to go with my favourite today (after a lot of experimentation and inches on the waist!) which is the tropical birthday cake. Full of flavour, puffiness and is absolutely delicious, you cannot go away without giving this masterpiece a go!
Vegan Birthday Cake Recipe:
Prep time: 45 minutes to prepare, 30 minutes to cook
For this Vegan Birthday Cake recipe, all you need are the following ingredients:
Ingredients for the Vegan Birthday Cake
- 200g Dairy-free spread (plus extra for greasing)
- 400ml Coconut milk
- 3 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 220g Caster sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 425g Self-raising flour
- 2 Tablespoons of baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon of bicarbonate soda
- 1 lime (for the zesting)
For the Icing
- 210g Dairy-free spread
- 450g Icing sugar
- 4 Passion fruits
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced
- 15g coconut
- Half a pack of coconut chunks
Instructions: How to make the Vegan Birthday Cake Recipe:
- Set the oven to gas 4m 180*c or fan 160*c.
- Lightly grease and line the base and sides of 2 loose bottomed cake tins with baking paper (20cm).
- Give the tin of coconut milk a good shake to mix together, open it and add the apple cider vinegar, stir and leave for 10 minutes.
- Put the dairy-free spread, sugar, coconut milk, vanilla extract, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and lime in the bowl and mix until it creates a smooth batter.
- Divide the batter between the 2 tins and put the tins on baking trays.
- Bake for 30 mins or until golden on top.
- Cool the tins for 10 minutes and carefully turn out the cakes and peel away the baking paper, place on cooling racks and leave to completely cool.
- Prepare the icing in a large bowl. Beat together the dairy-free spread and icing sugar until it is smooth. Squeeze 2 passion fruits into the mix, avoid the seeds going in by squeezing with a spoon.
- Once cooled, add a cake on a serving plate and spread around ¼ of the icing, put some mango slices in an even layer across the top and scatter with the seeds of the passion fruits that were squeezed.
- Repeat this with the top half, with the remainder of the icing, mango and passion fruits.
- Place the final cake layer on top. Sprinkle over the coconut and voila!
TIP – Adding vinegar to your coconut gives it that dairy-like taste. The acid inside the vinegar also helps to activate the bicarbonate soda and baking powder, making the cake rise much easier and giving it a better texture so be sure to include it.
The Bottom Line
I hope this Vegan Birthday Cake Recipe gives you an amazing idea for those up-coming birthdays, or something to create on the side whilst you have a little time to think! Out of all of the chocolate, vanilla, strawberry cakes I tried and created, this was by far my favourite.
In the end, there’s absolutely nothing that cannot be adapted to a Vegan recipe. Vegan ingredients aren’t scarce like they used to be and as shown here, there’s so many ingredients that go into a homemade Vegan Birthday Cake recipe that are readily available now.
If you liked this Vegan Birthday Cake Recipe, check out a few of our other recipes & see if there’s anything else that can tickle your taste buds!
If you have any requests, be sure to drop me an email and I’ll do my best to get back once the kids are in bed!