Below we are going to look at some of the best sports for your children to get into, some of these may not be your first choice, as most people default to football or Lacrosse, but we’ll look at the top 5 options that I put together and why they’re the top 5.
- Swimming: Swimming is a low-impact sport that can be enjoyed by children of all ages. It is a great way to build endurance, strength, and coordination.
- Football: Football is a popular team sport that is easy to learn and can be played both indoors and outdoors. It helps children develop their teamwork, coordination, and social skills.
- Tennis: Tennis is a fun individual or team sport that can be played at any age. It helps children develop their hand-eye coordination, agility, and endurance.
- Basketball: Basketball is a fun team sport that can be played both indoors and outdoors. It helps children develop their coordination, balance, and teamwork skills.
- Gymnastics: Gymnastics is a sport that focuses on balance, flexibility, and strength. It can be enjoyed by children of all ages and helps them develop their physical and mental skills.
Remember, the most important thing is to encourage your child to find a sport they enjoy and feel comfortable participating in. This will help them develop a lifelong love of physical activity and healthy habits.
What If My Child Is Not Fit Enough To Play These Sports?
Thankfully most sports are entry level when you join and each sport has many teams that you can progress through as your fitness and skills get better.
For those parents who want to best prepare their children –
Start with cardio: Cardio exercises such as running, biking, or swimming can help you burn calories quickly and improve your cardiovascular fitness. Start with 20-30 minutes of cardio exercise at least 3 times a week and gradually increase the intensity and duration as you get fitter.
Incorporate strength training. Strength training exercises such as weightlifting or bodyweight exercises can help you build muscle and increase your metabolism, which can help you burn more calories throughout the day. Please note with children under 14 I would not recommend this as this can stunt their growth.
Eat a balanced diet. A healthy and balanced diet can help you fuel your workouts and reach your fitness goals. Focus on consuming whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. Avoid processed and sugary foods.
Stay hydrated. Drinking enough water is crucial for your overall health and fitness. Aim for at least 8 glasses of water per day, or more if you are exercising heavily.
Get enough sleep. Getting enough sleep is important for your overall health and fitness. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night to help your body recover and recharge.
Remember to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new fitness or diet program, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or concerns.