There are many great road trips to choose from in Europe, but one of the best is probably the drive along the Amalfi Coast in Italy.
Starting in Sorrento, this road trip takes you along the stunning coastline of the Amalfi region, where you’ll pass through picturesque towns like Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello. The road is narrow and winding, with steep drops down to the sea, but it offers incredible views of the coastline and the turquoise waters of the Mediterranean.
Along the way, you can stop to explore the charming towns and villages, visit historic landmarks like the Cathedral of Amalfi and the Villa Cimbrone in Ravello, and sample delicious Italian cuisine at local restaurants and cafes.
The Amalfi Coast road trip is also easily combined with visits to nearby attractions, such as the ancient ruins of Pompeii or the bustling city of Naples.
Other great road trips in Europe include the Romantic Road in Germany, the Ring of Kerry in Ireland, and the Atlantic Road in Norway. Ultimately, the best road trip for you will depend on your personal interests, travel style, and the amount of time you have available for your trip.
The Best Car for your Road Trip
The best car for a road trip will depend on your specific needs and preferences, but there are a few key features to look for that can make your journey more comfortable and enjoyable.
- Comfortable seats: Look for a car with comfortable and supportive seats that will help you avoid back pain and fatigue during long drives.
- Spacious interior: A car with a roomy interior will allow you to stretch out and relax during your road trip. Consider the amount of legroom and headroom available for both the driver and passengers.
- Good fuel economy: A car with good fuel economy will help you save money on gas during your road trip. Look for a car with high mpg (miles per gallon) ratings or a hybrid or electric vehicle if you want to minimize your environmental impact.
- Reliable and safe: Choose a car that is reliable and has a good safety record to ensure a smooth and safe journey.
- Ample storage space: A car with plenty of storage space will allow you to pack all the essentials for your road trip, including luggage, camping gear, and other equipment.
Some popular cars for road trips include SUVs, minivans, and station wagons, which offer plenty of space and comfort for long drives. However, smaller cars can also be a good option if you don’t need as much space and prefer a more fuel-efficient vehicle.
What Supplies Will I need?
The supplies you need for a journey will depend on the type of trip you’re taking, the duration of your journey, and your personal needs and preferences. However, here are some basic supplies that you may want to consider packing for your journey:
- Navigation tools: This may include a map, GPS device, or smartphone with navigation apps.
- First aid kit: A basic first aid kit with items such as bandages, gauze, antiseptic, and pain relievers can be essential in case of an injury or emergency.
- Food and water: Pack snacks and plenty of water to stay hydrated and energized throughout your journey.
- Clothing and personal items: Pack clothing appropriate for the weather and activities you’ll be doing, as well as personal items such as toiletries, medications, and sunscreen.
- Tools and emergency supplies: This may include a flashlight, extra batteries, a multi-tool, a fire starter, and a spare tire.
- Entertainment: Pack items such as books, music, or games to keep yourself entertained during long stretches of driving or downtime.
- Money and identification: Bring cash, credit cards, and your ID or passport in case you need to make purchases or identify yourself during your journey.
It’s also a good idea to research the area you’ll be visiting and consider any additional supplies you may need, such as camping gear or outdoor equipment. Make a checklist of all the items you need to bring and double-check it before you depart to ensure you haven’t forgotten anything essential.